National Summit Agenda
Debate 1 - Measuring Value
What new forms of measuring value could we consider in order to find ways of:
- Advocating for the need for a myriad of visual art organisations to receive public funding?
- Articulating the deferred value of small organisations investing in or commissioning early artistic practice and CPD that leads to bigger and better things?
Also how could our sector work better to mutually support our visual arts ecology recognising that in the long term the larger public institutions and commercial dealers benefit considerably from this myriad of investment at the early stages of artists careers.
The following people will take part in this panel:
- Melissa Gronlund, Editor of Afterall Magazine and member of Common Practice Group
- Kwong Lee, Director, Castlefield Gallery Manchester
- Dany Louise, Freelance writer
- James Rebanks, CEO, Rebanks Consulting (download presentation)
- Chaired by Stephen Foster, Director, John Hansard Gallery, Southampton University
Detailed biographies are include in the event pack, available to download here.
The following supporting materials have been provided by the panel:
- Size Matters - notes towards a better understanding of the value, operation and potential of small visual arts organisations
- Leveraging leadership into income growth the LUX approach
- Capitalising Creativity - developing earned incomes streams in Creative Industries organisations
- Cultivating Research - articulating value in arts and academic collaborations
- Why Art Works - the value of contemporary visual arts in Lancashire and Cumbria
- Human Beings' Guide to the Economics of Culture
- Mapping Artists' CPD in Greater Manchester
By Dany Louise:
- Ladders for Development - http://www.a-n.co.uk/research/article/1300054/1224267
- Realising the Value - http://www.a-n.co.uk/publications/article/1909476/1896136
- A Fair Share? - http://www.a-n.co.uk/publications/article/1558894/1558858
- The Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture-professionals-network/culture-professionals-blog/2012/mar/27/forgan-chair-arts-council-step-down
- The Observer - http://arts.guardian.co.uk/reviews/observer/story/0,,1371780,00.html
- New Statesman - http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/cultural-capital/2012/02/arts-council-ace-conference
- Art Monthly - http://www.lettrist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/02/what-can-culture-buy-us.html
- The Stage - http://danylouise.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/what-do-festivals-add-to-a-city.jpg
By Dr. Dave O'Brien:
and a couple of podcasts: